Plasma 5 - Where have all the screensavers gone

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Apr 22 00:47:12 UTC 2015

Robin Laing wrote:
> Privacy.
>
> I like a screensaver to lock and hide my screen.  Where I work, screen
> locks are mandated.  If I don't have one, I will be forced to use
> Windows.  It needs to be automatic and hide the information on the screen.

But the point is that those X screensavers did NOT lock the screen in a
secure way. Plasma 5 provides a secure screen locker now. It just doesn't do
those fancy animations (but only a blank screen with an unlocking dialog),
mainly because nobody developed such animations in a way compatible with the
new screen locking framework yet. As far as I know, the interfaces (based on
QML) are already there, it just needs somebody to write the QML code.

        Kevin Kofler