Removing disable idle system screenlock as default behaviour for Plasma 5

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:50:15 UTC 2015

On 23 April 2015 at 06:54, Robin Laing <MeSat at telusplanet.net> wrote:

>>> phone locks

>>> lock

>>> by

>>> Security is an important reason for locking phones; pattern-based lock
>>> is
>>> quite widespread, and I think that encrypted phones are going to be
>>> more and
>>> more common (with obvious need for a locker).
>>

>> None of which is relevant to Linux desktops, as I was trying to point
>> out.
>>
>>> A laptop is not a different use case (security).
>>

>> A laptop may or may not be different, depending on context. Lots of
>> people just leave them in one (secure) place all the time, and when they
>> want to keep prying eyes away they shut the lid. That is when a lock
>> should be applied, not just because of some timeout. Remember we're
>> talking about the default case.
>>
>>> A desktop, maybe (in company yes, at home it depends :)
>>

>> In a company maybe, at home maybe.
>>
>> poc
>>

> So the option to disable this feature is easy to do.
>
> To me, laptops are not desktops and need to be treated the same as part of
> this thread states, like phones.  In our house, two of three laptops are
> used mainly outside the house.  One is used almost exclusively inside but
> still is configured for secure usage.  Screen lock is used as well as power
> saving features.

Phones are not laptops are not desktops.
The phone in your pocket can be stolen (or out of your hand) or easily
misplaced and is often always on.
Your laptop if being carried out and about is probably powered off.
When in use it will likely be at a desk. It is easier to carry off
than a desktop, but harder to misplace than a phone.
A desktop rarely moves and is harder to wander off with
inconspicuously. Unauthorised access in place is more of a concern.

People can use settings according to their own circumstances. At work
we deal with sensitive data and enforce desktop locking after a set
time (we also try to enforce people locking their desktops if away
from their desk), this is despite it being a secure environment where
walking out with or a stranger making unauthorised use of one would be
very difficult.

At home I leave my computer on with a screen sleep that does not lock,
there are no children running around opening things, so there isn't a
child gate on the stairs either. It's particularly annoying in a VM
that's running something to find it's locked itself while you've been
looking at another task. A five minute lock is very aggressive,
especially for desktop or VM use.

Fairly sure my phone did not come with locking set up as default (just
swipe to 'unlock'). It certainly has it set now.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk