Removing disable idle system screenlock as default behaviour for Plasma 5

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 15:39:21 UTC 2015

On 23 April 2015 at 13:55, Rex Dieter <rdieter at unl.edu> wrote:
> First off, thanks for the discussion.  However, one thing I've learned when dealing with setting defaults is this:  best practice is to never use yourself as anecdotal evidence. :)
>
> Now, instead of disabling screenlock timeouts altogether, perhaps we could find a compromise...
>
> I agree that the default screenlock timeout of 5 minutes does seem a bit short, would anyone be averse to considering increasing this ammount to say 10 or 15 minutes?  Would that help satisfy concerns that prompted this thread?

10-15 is about the standard for things like workstations dealing with
clinical trials data. Shorter than this can actually make it difficult
to read complex text (try reading a scientific paper on a large
screen, you may well find you can go over 5 minutes between page downs
if you're looking at a detail).
Also, since it's come up, screen dimming/sleep is a power setting,
it's possible to consider what times are appropriate for that
separately to locking.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk