Removing disable idle system screenlock as default behaviour for Plasma 5

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 09:30:00 UTC 2015

On 23 April 2015 at 17:01, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 12:55:02 +0000
> Rex Dieter <rdieter at unl.edu> wrote:
>
>> First off, thanks for the discussion.  However, one thing I've
>> learned when dealing with setting defaults is this:  best practice is
>> to never use yourself as anecdotal evidence. :)
>>
>> Now, instead of disabling screenlock timeouts altogether, perhaps we
>> could find a compromise...
>
> In my experience with discussions about defaults, reaching consensus
> regarding the best default is more an exception than a rule. The
> screen locking case seems a prototype example of this, and I doubt
> that any proposal will satisfy everyone.
>

> In that case, if anyone is too annoyed with the default to complain
> about it on a mailing list, while at the same time too lazy to make two
> trivial clicks, it's a PEBCAK problem, not sanity of the default.

Well, absolutely, but some questions to ask are:
1. Is the default suitable for the majority of people?
2. If people are routinely changing the default, are they all changing
it in the same direction?
3. If yes to the above, is there a benefit to a minority that
outweighs the inconvenience to the majority? (Bearing in mind those
people could also change the default.)

Or to put it another way, why not make it two minutes? One minute?
That's more secure right? My phone locks after 30 *seconds* (or at
least it will when I change it back, as this is a setting I change
regularly according to what I'm doing).
Picking a default that will keep everyone happy is probably impossible
(which is why I don't complain all the time about the clear insanity
of not having that focus-follows-mouse switched on), but picking one
that everyone will have to change after install needs a reason
(username for example, note, I'm not saying everyone has to change to
lock timeout, it sounds from this thread like there are people who
don't intend to change it from 5 minutes).

If the answer to both questions 1 and 2 is no, then worth considering
making it more obvious or easier to change as Marko suggests. Though
IIRC the screen lock timeout is simple enough to change once you know
where it is.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk