New default web browser on KDE Spin

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Aug 2 23:10:24 UTC 2015

Luigi Toscano wrote:
> As long as people continue spreading this information, it will continue to
> exist. KDE is not a Desktop Environment, full stop, whatever you like or
> think.

Language is ultimately determined by the people who speak it. Let's face it:
this rename has failed. It has simply not been accepted by the community (at
large; I'm not talking specifically about the developer community, though
even several developers still use the old nomenclature).

> No one in KDE community will complain if the default browser of a "KDE-
> based distribution" is not Konqueror.

If that's true, this means the KDE community has failed. The goal has always
been to offer a cohesive experience, not random foreign applications that
stick out like a sore thumb.

(further down the thread:)
> A browser is unfortunately a really important component of the system
> nowadays [...]

That's exactly why we should not replace it with an unintegrated non-KDE
application.

(even further down:)
> The Plasma team has not stated anything about the default browser or the
> browser with good integration with Plasma 5, which even the current
> Konqueror is not (as it is not ported yet).

A kdelibs4 application still uses the Breeze Qt style (it builds both for Qt
4 and 5), the Breeze icon theme, KIO (the kdelibs4 compatibility version,
but still, it's KIO, and there are also other kdelibs4 applications needing
KIO 4), file dialogs that look and feel very similar (if not identical) to
the KF5 ones, etc. Firefox does none of that. So even an unported Konqueror
integrates a lot better into Plasma 5 than Firefox ever will.

        Kevin Kofler