New default web browser on KDE Spin

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 23:27:35 UTC 2015

On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 00:53 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Markus Slopianka wrote:
> > Just because the KDE community makes one or in many cases even more
> > than
> > one application of a certain kind (e.g. several music and media
> > players),
> > any of them is a default anywhere.
>
> The web browser is not a random application, but a very central part
> of a
> desktop operating system. It is vital that the web browser integrates
> properly into the desktop environment. Firefox does not integrate at
> all, it
> does not even honor the desktop's icon theme anymore (not even the
> GNOME
> setting, let alone the Plasma one).

Perhaps "vital" is the wrong word. I haven't use Konqueror in 10 years
or so, despite using KDE almost exclusively. But then I never really
bought into the whole "desktop environment" thing on Linux. If it's not
going to be dictated from on high (viz. Apple or MS) then there is no
hope of getting everyone aboard one DE, and therefore the whole selling
point of a DE -- full integration with apps -- is never going to
happen. I use KDE mainly as a window system, but I have FF and Chrome
for browsing and Evolution for email, because each of them is better
than the KDE equivalent for my purposes. I just don't care that much
about honouring icon themes. (I do care a lot about incompatible
keyring or wallet systems, but I don't want to turn this into another
rant).

poc