Parental Controls?

Dan Mossor danofsatx at gmail.com
Sun Aug 9 07:15:35 UTC 2015

I'm in the process of building my children (10 and 7 years old) their
very own laptops. The machines are Dell Inspiron D630, Core2Duo 2.2GHz
with 4GB of memory and Intel graphics. I run Fedora 22 with Plasma 5 on
a similarly configured desktop, so I know it will work, and that is not
my question.

Since this is for my children, I want to enable some sort of parental
controls on it. I know I can use pam_time[0] to control allowed login
times and total time, but that doesn't give me application control.

Are there any KDE applications that function in this area? The only
thing I can locate is kchildlock[1], but it is KDE4. I've also found
gnome-nanny[2], which is a dead project (and isn't Plasma).

Ubuntu has a project called timekpr-revived[3] which looks to be the
most current and feature complete, but it's Ubuntu and targeted at Unity
(although he claims to "try to support other DEs").

Another thing I would like to incorporate is content filtering. I know
the "correct" answers lie in hardware devices sitting between them and
the internet, such as DansGaurdian or a Squid proxy, but I have neither
the time, energy, nor budget to support a solution such as that. Can I
run squid locally on the system?

Thanks,
Dan

[0]https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/7260/how-to-configure-user-restriction-with-pam-a-kind-of-parental-control/