Plasma 5: first impressions

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 13:17:01 UTC 2015

I just installed Plasma 5 from the COPR repo. A fairly easy process (had
to remove a few packages but no big deal). A couple of issues at first
glance:

1) My carefully-tuned KDE settings are all gone, e.g. Dolphin, Konsole,
virtual desktops, lockscreen behaviour etc. Can these be recovered
easily (I have backups)? Why does this happen anyway, especially to apps
which are independent of Plasma?

2) Speaking of virtual desktops, I can no longer see how to configure
how they look in the panel. In the old system I had each one labelled
with a name, but that no longer appears except when I hover the cursor,
which slows down switching.

Plasma is shiny and fast, so I'm generally positive so far, but these
details are going to annoy a lot of people.

poc