newbie questions

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Sun Jul 5 05:04:11 UTC 2015

On Sunday 05 July 2015 02:18:13 Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 05.07.2015 um 02:06 schrieb Markus Slopianka:
> > On Sunday 05 July 2015 02:01:24 Reindl Harald wrote:
> >> the point is that F22 should have stayed on KDE4 - period
> >
> > Unless you posess the ability to travel through time, your comments are
> > totally useless.
> > F21 is still supported if you prefer Plasma 4
>
> for how long - 4/5 months? *laughable*
>
> KDE upstream should have learned from the KDE4 fuckup which took *years*
> to get useable again and not break user setups again and again while
> wonder for decades why the majority of users out there donät siwtch to a
> Linux desktop
>
> a good upgrade is completly *invisible* for existing users independet
> how large are the changes on lower levels - that said from a developer
> who satisfies his users by *not* change their expirience permenently

Absolutely agree with everything said here. KDE3 to 4 was a fiasco. It would
seem that despite everything upstream told us as it being easier for the user
KDE 4 - 5 is worse maybe not for the developers who have an easier time not
including features like screensavers and system settings and... But for the
people who actually use their computer for work and play KDE 5 as it stands is
a disaster.

KDE 5 is a very well tested ALPHA. Why, because not all the features that are
expected to be there are in place.

I understand the mission of Fedora but, things need to be done in a sane way.

As I have suggested, though I know that this is a lot of work and it is only a
suggestion because I understand the nature of scarce resources, that Fedora
adopt a more sane release schedule. 6 months is too short given the complexity
of everything that is required; to provide a long term stable version. Say 2
years, Perhaps a proper collaboration between CentOS and Fedora would be in
order and a rapid fire version that showcases the newer stuff.

This kinda thing really does need to be avoided. When we go to KDE6 what is
gonna be the excuse then as to why features are not in place.

Thank you (sincerely) for listening.

Eli

believed to be clean.