newbie questions

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Jul 5 14:49:39 UTC 2015

On 07/05/15 22:06, Glenn Holmer wrote:
> On 07/05/2015 01:29 AM, Felix Miata wrote:
>> For those who need to get work done in "KDE", whatever that means any more,
>> there are options:
> What it means is the current version, as everything else is subject to
> bit rot. If you're going to jump ship, consider this:
>
> http://mate-desktop.org/
>
> Enable Compiz and you have a winner.

First of all, I fully understand where Eli and Reindl are coming from.  This switch from KDE4--->KDE5 is just as painful, if not more so, as the switch from KDE3--->KDE4.  One would have thought/hoped that a lesson was learned, but it hasn't.

I'm not about to jump ship, however.  I have a few systems and will retain KDE4 on some but will use KDE5 as much as possible and file BZ as needed.  I must say the stability of plasma-shell has improved for me in the past week.  So, that is one bright spot.

In closing.  I don't recall her name, but I do remember a Fedora person warning of scaring away new users with "rants" in mailing list (I'm not saying anyone is ranting).  So I can't but think we should be careful not to hijack a "newbie question" to vent our frustrations with the current situation.

--
Sorta what I want to say when folks habitually complain about Fedora - https://youtu.be/ZArl8fTfub4