How to set default session type to Plasma for sddm [SOLVED]

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Thu Jun 4 11:44:27 UTC 2015

On 04/06/15 00:26, Gerald B. Cox wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 3, 2015 at 4:09 PM, Gerald B. Cox <gbcox at bzb.us
> <mailto:gbcox at bzb.us>> wrote:
>
>     Just for grins, try kde-plasma.desktop
>

> I was thinking we weren't using the right value for session=...
> I had the same problem when setting the cursor until I stumbled upon the
> correct value, and I got
> kde-plasma.desktop from the sddm.log; however when I switched to that it
> then just displayed plasma.desktop
> so I'm not sure what is the correct value.
>
> According to the doc, this only comes into play the first time, so my
> testing of it was invalid... it appeared to
> work because it was being ignored in my case.
>
> Here is another link I found: https://www.mankier.com/5/sddm.conf
>
> I'll keep looking, but if you do figure out what is going on, please
> post here... I'm curious now...
>
> The Theme cursor settings I posted earlier are accurate and do work, if
> that is any consolation... ;-)

Gerald (and others)

I seem to have found a workaround to make Plasma the default desktop in
sddm.

I renamed /usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop to
/usr/share/xsessions/0plasma.desktop and Plasma is now offered as the
default session on the sddm login screen.

Of course, every time the plasma-workspace package is updated
plasma.desktop will come back, but I can handle that.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

Roderick