Restricting mime types handled by kpartsplugin for firefox

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Fri Jun 5 17:18:21 UTC 2015

On 02/06/15 18:53, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anyone know how to easily restrict the mime types that the firefox
> plugin part of kpartsplugin handles? I need to configure this system
> wide for all users.
>
> I'd just want to use it for embedding pdf documents in firefox using
> okular, but it seems to want to handle loads of other mime types too.
>
> Thanks
>
> Roderick Johnstone

Well, I have this working, except...

I found in the discussion at
https://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=125066&forumpage=2 that
you can have a file ~/.kde/share/config/kpartsplugin-mimetypes.rc where
you can blacklist mime types. So, I listed all the  mime types that
firefox was using kpartsplugin to handle and blacklisted them all except
application/pdf.

That works, and hopefully I can find the equivalent place for that file
so that these settings can be picked up systemwide.

The only problem now seems to be that after opening a pdf file I see
that plugin-container is running at 100% cpu.

Curiously, the first time firefox loads the pdf I momentarily see a page
with what looks like a menu structure of mime types. Then its
overwritten by okular displaying my pdf.

Anyone got any idea whats going on here? Maybe this is whats causing
plugin-container to go 100% cpu.

It would be great if someone could verify this behaviour - maybe its
some of my customizations that provokes this.

Thanks

Roderick Johnstone