Restarting selected apps

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 10:36:57 UTC 2015

This morning I updated my system as usual (using dnf on F22) and one of
the packages changed was xapian-core-libs. Dnf suggested I manually
restart baloo_file and dolphin. Two thoughts:

1) Given that baloo_file is started automatically, I don't know how to
restart it
manually. Just executing the command gives:

$ baloo_file
Bananana Error
Serious Error:
Error opening table `/home/poc/.local/share/baloo/file//termlist.':
Unable to read revision from /home/poc/.local/share/baloo/file//termlist.baseA
Unable to read revision from /home/poc/.local/share/baloo/file//termlist.baseB
  DatabaseOpeningError: Error opening table `/home/poc/.local/share/baloo/file//termlist.':
Unable to read revision from /home/poc/.local/share/baloo/file//termlist.baseA
Unable to read revision from /home/poc/.local/share/baloo/file//termlist.baseB

I've no idea what any of that means. In fact I have only a vague idea
that baloo has something to do with desktop search, a facility I
absolutely never use. The only time I ever hear from it is when
crashes, which is several times a day. Removing it would only seem to
remove a bunch of kde-pim apps which I don't use either. Is this safe?

2) Dolphin is part of my normal session start-up, so there must be a
record of how I want it to look without me having to kill it and
recreate the various windows by hand (or log out and in again). It
would be nice to be able to do that via a Plasma menu or even a Shell
command. Does anyone think this is worth an RFE?

poc