KDE spin firewall

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 9 22:14:35 UTC 2015

Richard Z wrote:
> How is the KDE spin handling this? Does it inherit all the settings
> from "workstation"? Will it develop its own default firewall policy?

We inherit the distro-wide "non-product" defaults, which are NOT the same as
the "Workstation" defaults. Those "non-product" defaults that we also ship
on the KDE Spin are the same as in previous releases: only mDNS is open for
incoming connections by default. And of course DHCP, including DHCPv6. (On
non-live spins also sshd (incoming SSH), but that gets disabled on the live
images, as in the past.) Outgoing ports are all open by default, as they
have always been. We do NOT open thousands of incoming ports by default as
the GNOME "Workstation" "Product" spin does.

        Kevin Kofler