Plasma5 loss of configurability?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Mar 13 00:11:25 UTC 2015

Eike Hein wrote:
> This is a biased and incomplete explanation. While I
> personally lament the loss of KLocale's functionality
> as well, the motivation in switching to Qt's locale
> system was mainly that the behavior and scope it im-
> plements aligns closely with the rest of desktop
> Linux, which KLocale always had trouble mapping to -
> application of settings and behavior is now more con-
> sistent between KDE's apps and other Qt apps, as well
> as Linux desktop apps not using Qt at all.

The problem is that QLocale doesn't support the POSIX LC_TIME, LC_NUMERIC
etc. either, it also does its own thing, and supports only LANG from the
POSIX locale system.

So we traded a system that was incompatible with POSIX because it was MORE
flexible than the POSIX LC_* variables with one that is also incompatible
with POSIX LC_*, but because it is LESS flexible. :-(

        Kevin Kofler