Plasma5 loss of configurability?

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Sat Mar 14 16:45:33 UTC 2015

On 03/14/2015 05:30 PM, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> Seems you're a bit out of the loop then.  You're trying to spin a
> decision that they have accepted was a mistake and are working to correct.

I'm not trying to "spin" anything, and I'd prefer if you
could stop the constant antagonizing. I understand you're
frustrated and why you're frustrated, but that doesn't
justify bad behavior.

The decision you're referring to was to drop KLocale in
favor of improving QLocale, for the reasons I outlined.
The "working to correct" part refers to improving QLocale
even further, i.e. continuing the process of adding KLocale
features to Qt. Describing this as "correcting a mistake"
is _actual_ spin, since you're painting eggs on faces where
none exists -- notice nothing in John's comments you linked
actually supports that narrative.

You're certainly free to disagree with the original decision
and refer to it as a mistake if you feel qualified to make
that call, however.

As for timeframe, Qt 5.5 is currently in feature freeze
and will likely be released in April. It contains no rele-
vant new features in QLocale. The next opportunity to
introduce new feature in QLocale is therefore the Qt 5.6
release cycle, which will deliver about half a year later.
A Plasma Desktop release depending on Qt 5.6 will likely
be released in early 2016. However, there is currently no
confirmation of expanded QLocale functionality in Qt 5.6.

Cheers,
Eike