Network icons documented?

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Thu Mar 19 05:01:53 UTC 2015

On 03/19/15 12:43, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rex Dieter wrote:
>> While on the topic, I see that
>> NetworkManager-config-connectivity-fedora
>> is not installed by default in f22 kde live image (not on f22-alpha at
>> least), should we ?
> As explained during the meeting, please no.

I agree.

It doesn't seem like a very useful "utility" anyway.  It retrieves a single URL https://fedoraproject.org/static/hotspot.txt and checks for "OK" in the contents.

So, in the case where fedoraproject.org is unavailable due to downtime or a network outage close to the destination you'll get a yellow ! on your icon which can cause confusion to the end-user.  It sure did for me.  I had the yellow ! yet I was surfing, googling, and sending emails.  So, had no idea what it was trying to tell me.  In the end, it isn't telling me much.