minimum F22/F23 installation requirements

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 21 22:07:24 UTC 2015

Is there a list anywhere of what packages are required to get any session to
proceed beyond crash notices? Out of more than a dozen, probably more than
twice that, of F22 & Rawhide installations, I've only ever seen what KF
desktop looks like on one, and that on the slowest system on which I have
either installed, an Athlon XP 2000+.

I'm not interested in having anything more than the bare minimum, plus
Konsole, Konq, Kmix and Ksnapshot. The only "k" groupinstall I"ve found,
kde-desktop', wants to add 362 packages to the 112 KDE/KDF packages already
installed, among them bluedevil, bluez, kamera, kdegames-minimal, kmail,
kontact, multiple NetworkManager leaves, dmraid, firewalld, ghostscript,
bazillions of python*, speech-dispatcher, lvm2 and many other packages, all
inconsistent with minimalism, and unlikely that I'd ever use on purpose.

On the latest, I left the screen just sitting after closing the crash
windows. Eventually the locker tried to start, so now my screen's center is
covered with illegible (text in some tiny fraction of what I can see without
a magnifier) syslogd messages. Switching to a tty to login, I get a
continuous flood of syslogd messages about the locker that makes killing
startkde tough.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/