minimum F22/F23 installation requirements

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 23 08:53:46 UTC 2015

Pete Travis composed on 2015-03-22 21:48 (UTC-0400):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> Is there a list anywhere of what packages are required to get any session to
>> proceed beyond crash notices? Out of more than a dozen, probably more than
>> twice that, of F22 & Rawhide installations, I've only ever seen what KF
>> desktop looks like on one, and that on the slowest system on which I have
>> either installed, an Athlon XP 2000+.

>> I'm not interested in having anything more than the bare minimum, plus
>> Konsole, Konq, Kmix and Ksnapshot. The only "k" groupinstall I"ve found,
>> kde-desktop', wants to add 362 packages to the 112 KDE/KDF packages already
>> installed, among them bluedevil, bluez, kamera, kdegames-minimal, kmail,
>> kontact, multiple NetworkManager leaves, dmraid, firewalld, ghostscript,
>> bazillions of python*, speech-dispatcher, lvm2 and many other packages, all
>> inconsistent with minimalism, and unlikely that I'd ever use on purpose.

>> On the latest, I left the screen just sitting after closing the crash
>> windows. Eventually the locker tried to start, so now my screen's center is
>> covered with illegible (text in some tiny fraction of what I can see without
>> a magnifier) syslogd messages. Switching to a tty to login, I get a
>> continuous flood of syslogd messages about the locker that makes killing
>> startkde tough.

> Afaik - and I sincerely hope to be corrected if I am wrong - the closest
> thing to an 'official' system requirements list resides in the Release
> Notes.  As an F22 tester, I hope you would send some signal to the docs
> team if you observe higher requirements than those stated for the previous
> release.

I don't see anything about "system requirements" in TOC on
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/21/html/Release_Notes/, but
"system requirements" isn't anything like what I was asking for.

Put another way, on a system that already can run TWM or IceWM or some other
X session besides KDE, what needs to be installed so that a Plasma Desktop
can be reached without any crash messages along the way, or the way being
halted, and subsequently being able to start and use Konq, Ksnapshot, Kcalc,
Kmix and Konsole. Since my OP I did some experimentingand found the following
seems to provide needed additions to a minimal HTTP installation:

yum install \
    alsa-utils \
    cups-client \
    gwenview \