x2go under KDE on F22

Roderick Johnstone rmj at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed Mar 25 10:31:27 UTC 2015

On 24/03/15 21:36, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Roderick Johnstone ha scritto:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm interested to find out whether the remote desktop system x2go
>> (http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php), is going to work in F22 under KDE.
>>
>> x2go is documented to be incompatible with 'KDE 5'
>> (http://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php/doc:de-compat) but I notice that there are
>> still seem to be (at least) parts of KDE 4 in F22.
>
> According the description, it seems incompatible with the desktop Plasma 5.
> The parts you mention are the kdelibs4-based applications available in F22,
> which don't have a Frameworks-based release.
>
> Ciao

Luigi

Thanks for your comment.

Thats a pity. Our research group are long time KDE on Fedora users and
its good if people can have the same desktop experience both on remote
(x2go) and local (desktop) logins.

I did notice that the development/22/x86_64/os/Packages tree has the
packages:
kde-workspace-common-4.11.16-7.fc22.noarch.rpm
kde-workspace-devel-4.11.16-7.fc22.x86_64.rpm

and had hoped that there might there be some legacy kde4 desktop support.

On closer examination now I see that the common package only contains a
few text files and there is no kde-workspace package as such.

Oh well, I guess there is always F21 to keep us going for a few more
months. From what I read on the x2go lists (IIRC) there will be a big
project to update the X11 server in x2go to something modern which will
support KDE 5 but there is no timescale for that as of now.

Roderick