Plasma 5 and KDE Workspaces in F22

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 10:03:01 UTC 2015

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 04:41:56 PM Ed Greshko wrote:
> Are there plans to allow for both Plasma 5 and KDE Workspaces to coexist in
> F22?

Hi,

no, there are currently no plans to support both. Plasma 5 is an upgrade to
KDE Workspaces 4, so we treat it as such (updated the packages).

It is technically possible to have legacy packages with KDE Workspaces 4,
which would conflict with Plasma 5, so users could install one or the other,
but the burden of maintaining two KDE desktops is one too many.

> Currently, that seems not possible due to, at least, Network Manager
> components being obsoleted by Plasma 5 installation.

Yum/dnf update should give you smooth upgrade of KDE Workspace 4 and all it's
components to Plasma 5.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil | dvratil at redhat.com | dvratil on #kde-devel, #kontact, #akonadi
Software Engineer - KDE Desktop Team, Red Hat Inc.

GPG Key: 0xC59D614F6F4AE348
Fingerprint: 4EC1 86E3 C54E 0B39 5FDD B5FB C59D 614F 6F4A E348