Plasma 5 - Right Click Desktop - Konsole?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sat May 2 10:16:24 UTC 2015

On 1 May 2015 at 15:58, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 01 May 2015 15:16:58 +0100
> Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2015-05-01 at 14:19 +0100, José Matos wrote:
>> > I agree with others that the plasma forgetting the session data is
>> > the worst problem of plasma 5. That can in part be mitigated by
>> > assigning initial desktops for applications since I always start
>> > konsole in desktop 1, dolphin in desktop 2, kontact and firefox in
>> > desktop 4 and so on. Not perfect but it helps a bit.
>>
>> Unfortunately I have a number of browser windows in different
>> desktops. I tried setting the desktop property for the app and then
>> for one of the windows separately but that doesn't get the result I
>> want.
>
> I tend to have exclusively one konsole and one firefox window opened at
> a time (on their respective desktops), and extensively use multiple
> tabs. This avoids over-cluttering the desktops (in my case, remaining
> six desktops can then be used for various other apps, one per desktop),
> and I always know where to look for various stuff... ;-) Btw,
> given the multiple tabs functionality, I always fail to see the reason
> for having multiple window instances of the same app (like firefox or
> konsole).

Well, since you said you were interested, any circumstance where you
need to see information from two pages/tabs at once. Or if researching
something you may have a window open with multiple tabs open for that,
with another window that you're working in. I'll typically start a
task and if it gets big send it to its own desktop, which may be a few
konsole windows and any other programs that are relevant (browser,
spreadsheet etc.). In the case of browsers, some sites or applications
will use their own sub-windows, e.g. I listen to BBC iplayer radio,
this really wants its own window sized to their interface, and it's
easier to let it do that rather than open in a tab (so it can be
minimised without cluttering up tabs I actually want to look at).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk