Gonna be a little irritating again Sorry

Michael J Gruber michaeljgruber+gmane at fastmail.fm
Mon May 11 10:05:40 UTC 2015

Daniel Vrátil venit, vidit, dixit 11.05.2015 11:37:
> Hi,
>
> let me try to address some of the issues you and Eli raised here
>
> On Monday, May 11, 2015 04:59:38 PM Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 05/11/15 16:15, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>>> Please everyone... I am not trolling or trying to start a debate. I am
>>> just stating my own very personal views with the following.
>>>
>>> I will start and end with the same statement.
>>>
>>> My comments here in no way reflects the exceptionally good work and
>>> repsonsiveness of Fedora's KDE Team.
>>>
>>> This is the first time that I can remember that I am not looking forward
>>> to the next release of Fedora.
>>>
>>> I have done a bit of fiddeling with plasma 5 and I must say as a long time
>>> KDE user I will not be upgrading to Plasma 5 on my main office or home
>>> systems given its current state. It is buggy, missing many features that
>>> I have become accustommed to and I have no way to work around the issues.
>> Totally agree and I've pretty much, I think, stated the same in an earlier
>> email.
>>> While the individual issues that I have discovered may be minor, add them
>>> all up together with all the problems and issues that have been posted
>>> recently means some obstruction to my work flow.
>>>
>>> I will list the problems:
>>>
>>> no screensaver
>
>>> clock on the system tray takes up way to much realestate
>
> Digital or analog clock? With date or without? I use digital clock with date
> and it really only takes the minimum necessary space.
>
>>> resizing windows causes my windows to black until I click the app on the
>>> task switcher to minimze and then restore
>
> Hmm, could be a driver issue? Have you tried with KWin effects disabled (Alt
> +Shift+F12)?
>
>>> I cannot set my regional settings to the country where I live without
>>> changing the language of interface  I want it to remain english.
>
> Is System Settings -> Regional Settings -> Formats what you are looking for?
> This does only affect time, currency etc. format, but not the actual language
> of the UI.
>
>>> kdepim has not been ported to the new library set yet.
>
> I don't see how this is a problem :-) We are going to release Qt5/KF5-based
> KDE PIM in August with KDE Applications 15.08 and our aim is for users not to
> be able to tell any difference between KDE 4 and KF5 version.
>
>>> The text contrast kicker cannot be altered.
>
>>> The American flag for the keyboard switcher is distorted
>
> That's the old (KDE 4) keyboard switcher, probably shown because you had some
> old KDED modules from KDE 4 still installed or loaded. In pure Plasma 5
> environment the layout switcher only says "us" or "cz" etc.
>

>> Allow me to add to your list....
>>
>> Starting from a "Saved Session" doesn't work.  The windows may be restored,
>> but they are never in the location you've saved them.  And, they all end up
>> on a single virtual desktop.  And the systray may or may not be at the
>> height you previously specified.  And, even if you save a session and you
> [...]

There is still the issue with kwalletmanager in dvratil-plasma-5 for f21
that I reported here:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.kde/14329

Will kwalletmanager5 come to that repo and obsolete kwalletmanager-5,
and what about the kwalletmanager-4 vs. kwalletmanager-14 versioning
mishaps there?

Michael