Please Avoid Elipses in Subject Lines

Eli Wapniarski eli at orbsky.homelinux.org
Mon May 11 11:43:28 UTC 2015

What makes the Elipse and for that matter any use of a period inside
the subject line so bad is that most filters rely on regular
expressions to filter. The period is a special character in regex
processors which means all. If one were to create a simple filter
based on the period, they would be blocking everything. So this trick
is utilized to get past those filters.

A manual creation of the filter which would include \. would be required.

Until I created the filter to block out elipses. I would get all sorts
of bad mail trying to sell me all sorts of stuff that you would not
want sold to you, or to visit all sorts of sites you would not want
your kids to visit. So, to answer your question, yes I have blocked
elipses for a very long time. I will continue to block elipses, and I
am quite confident, because of this issue other aggressive filters
will also block them.

You can do what you wish. I am not going to get into a trolling match
with anyone. I am relating my experience and made a request thats all.
If you choose to continue using elipses thats fine thats up to you. :)

Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, 2015-05-11 at 14:14 +0300, Eli Wapniarski wrote:
>> Quoting Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan at gmail.com>:

>> > Why? Is this a defining characteristic of spam? Are you also going to
>> > ask the rest of the Internet not to use ellipses in Subject lines?
>>
>> Believe it or not.... it is.
>
> A quick search on this list shows over a hundred such messages over the
> last few years. Similar searches on other lists show similar results.
> Are you saying that all these messages have been blocked by your spam
> filter? If so, you seriously need to think about changing it.
>
> poc

> believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.