Plasma 5 as a daily driver?

P. Gueckel pgueckel at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 20:00:13 UTC 2015

Ian Pilcher wrote:

> I find myself wondering if other people are really
> using Plasma 5 as a "daily driver"...

It's a totally different world where I live :-) I've
been using Plasma 5 since the beta was released.
Excellent experience!

When the beta was first released, I noticed that there
was something curious about the virtual terminals, but
that appears to be long gone. It might just be that I
am using GDM, which is on Wayland, so it has claimed
vt1. In any case, all works fine.

I haven't yet plugged in my television, so I don't
know about having 2 displays yet. I really need to
give that a try. Perhaps tonight, since I rented a DVD
from the library ;-)

Konsole size? Is it that much of a problem to size it?
;-) I haven't given this a try, so I don't know
whether my system(s) is/are affected.

What used to be the ugly cashew is now known as the
Desktop Toolbox. I think it is entirely redundant,
since all of the commands it offers are accessible on
the right mouse button menu item Desktop Settings. You
can enable/disable the Desktop Toolbox on the Tweaks
page. I have always hated that thing, since it
disrupts the symmetry and aesthetics of the clean
desktop.

CapsLock is permanently disabled here. I have mapped
Compose to that key, which is useful to me. CapsLock
just caused me problems, getting hit by accident with
my thick fingers ;-)

I don't mean to discredit your/others' experience(s),
but it seems to me that a lot of people are nitpicking
about a lot of insignificant stuff. Oops! Did I say
that? :-O I guess if it's important to you ;-) but I
think we need to keep in mind that it's a work in
progress and the required functionality is all there.
I've never been a big fan of all the widgets anyway,
just a lot of clutter on the desktop and in the system
try. I guess for some of you it is important ;-)