System is rendered useless after Plasma 5.4.3 update KDEInit couldn't launch

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Sun Nov 15 08:15:16 UTC 2015

On 11/15/2015 12:31 AM, Sudhir Khanger wrote:
> I updated my system to Plasma 5.4.3. After I reboot sddm theme was
> automatically changed. Half of the system tray applets aren't loaded. No
> system app can be launched anymore. It says KDEInit couldn't launch 'app'.

Yeah, this is a "disaster".  (F22 x64)

It seems I had been running 5.4.2 stuff and I updated to 5.4.3.  Thinking that maybe some
libs were being kept in memory I rebooted.  Yeah, the sddm theme changed and I was able to
login.  I got a message telling me the "boot image crashed".  There was no mixer in the
systray and while the clock was "there" noting was visible.  I could hover over the area
and it would show me a list of the timezones I had defined but the showed like "Taipei %2"
and "London %2".

I really needed to get some work done so I did

dnf downgrade --allowerasing plasma-breeze plasma-breeze-common plasma-desktop
plasma-desktop-doc plasma-milou plasma-nm plasma-nm-mobile plasma-nm-openconnect
plasma-nm-openvpn plasma-nm-pptp plasma-nm-strongswan plasma-nm-vpnc plasma-systemsettings
plasma-workspace plasma-workspace-common plasma-workspace-drkonqi
plasma-workspace-geolocation plasma-workspace-geolocation-libs plasma-workspace-libs

And things are "working" but I'm back to 5.3.0 versions of plasma and lost some
functionality such as there is no "24 hr" setting for the clock.

Can we get 5.4.2 back and kill the 5.4.3 stuff?

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from
computers altogether.