Plasma - any hope for my laptop?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 13:51:16 UTC 2015

On 6 October 2015 at 14:47, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 06.10.2015 um 15:37 schrieb Rex Dieter:
>>
>> Gerald B. Cox wrote:
>>
>>> Here is the bottom line about Plasma5 .... you can't have something which
>>> has freezing, display issues
>>

>> Does it make any difference to you than a large majority of the issues
>> weren't actually kde ones, but bugs in other components of the graphics
>> stack?
>>
>> If not, then I guess we can agree to disagree on that point (on whether
>> plasma5 was "ready for prime-time" or not)
>

> it does not make any difference for a suer when he is coming from a
> perfectly smooth and stable F21/KDE4 to a non working F22/KDE5 and shows
> only that KDE5 should never ever had made it into Fedora at the moment
>
> if your desktop don't work proper, crashs, is slow and lacks features you
> really don't care what piece of software is responsible, KDE can't publish
> software rely on components which don't play together and sell that as
> improvement
>
> honestly i hear the excuse "we now broke things to develop for the future
> where all will work" way too long - what we need as users is software *for
> now* and not for a unknown point in time

This is not unlike the pulseaudio introduction where many drivers had
bugs that had never been fixed and probably would have never been
fixed if PA hadn't needed things like sane mixer controls. That was
fairly painful, but we are now at a much better stage than we were in
the pre-PA days.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk