blog post on Plasma 5 quality

P. Gueckel pgueckel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 16:04:56 UTC 2015

Rex Dieter wrote:

> As written, makes it sound like intel-on-linux is
> a poor choice, when in reality it is among
> the better options (imo)

I don't have one of the newer CPUs with integrated
graphics. I am still using the older Intel graphics on
the motherboard, but...

I have had no issues whatsoever! It has worked like a
charm. I did experience a couple of freeze-ups about a
month ago, when the beta was first released (about one
or two plasma updates ago), but... I think it was
related to flash? In any case, that has disappeared.

I like how plasma is now more streamlined, with only
the two activities, desktop and folder view. The other
ones, newspaper view and tiled and columns and whatnot
were so confusing. I was never able to apply them in
any workable way.

I use virtual desktops all of the time and they are
crucial to my day-to-day use. I nearly toppled from my
chair when I read that they are problematic. I have
never experienced any problems. They allow me to have
numerous programs open at the same time without having
to flip through layers of open windows. I have not
tried using the cube in F23, so perhaps that is why I
haven't experienced difficulties? I am using desktop
grid for switching, which works perfectly.

I have still never figured out what the dashboard is.
Whenever I display it, nothing happens! It is
meaningless to me.

I have also not yet used the multi-screen function on
plasma 5, so I cannot comment.

I noticed that quite a lot of widgets are not
available in plasma 5. At first I was slightly
disappointed, but recognized that I was using a beta
anyway, so I couldn't expect it to be perfect yet.
After having used the system for a month, I don't miss
those applets. There are high quality kde applications
that provide those functions and that information. For
my own use, it is not necessary to duplicate all of
that functionality... and the system tray is smaller
and less cluttered without. All of the system features
are implemented. For me, that's all I need.

In résumé, I can only say that plasma 5 has been a
huge success for me. I have no disappointments and
have suffered no inconveniences. It all works and it
looks great, except the missing breeze-gtk ;-)