Stepping down from KDE SIG

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Fri Oct 30 15:21:00 UTC 2015

Mark Haney wrote:
> You're right, it's not a huge amount of data for the dependencies.  I just
> have this thing about Gnome apps in general.  They never seem quite as
> good as the KDE versions.  Though, the maintainers attitude also makes a
> big difference to me. I don't use apps from people who act like that.  (If
> that makes sense.)

There are two main issues that make me avoid GNOME/GTK+ applications
whenever possible:
1. The official GNOME applications and even some GTK+ ones share the same
   "no features, no options" design that is making the GNOME desktop
   unusable.
2. GTK+ is getting worse and worse at integration into non-GNOME desktops
   with every release:
   * They regressed theming support (no more support for theme engines, only
     SVG).
   * They redesigned the dialogs to look like crap without client-side
     window decorations (and unlike Qt, GTK+ still does not support using
     native dialogs).
   * They use nonstandard "*-symbolic" icons which look ugly with any
     non-monochromatic theme (e.g. with Oxygen – it's less drastic with
     Breeze, but you still won't get the native Breeze icon even where it
     exists; they also deliberately exempted *-symbolic from the standard
     freedesktop.org fallback rules that state that foo-symbolic should fall
     back to foo BEFORE falling back to another theme, forcing their theming
     choices on the user instead).
   * They redefined how clicks into the scrollbar are handled (making it
     inconsistent with native applications).
   * They no longer honor device DPI by default.
   etc.

        Kevin Kofler