lancelot menu in F23

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Sep 8 09:05:10 UTC 2015

Am 08.09.2015 um 10:58 schrieb Jaroslav Reznik:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> Unfortunately, yes, any Plasma widget (plasmoid) has to be ported (mostly
>>> rewritten in QML) for Plasma 5. Lancelot was not ported, so it is gone.
>>> :-(
>>
>> in other words:
>>
>> when F21 goes EOL i have to suck lose nearly anything which can be called my
>> workflow just because Fedora again like the KDE3->KDE4 transition way too
>> early pushed KDE5 and all that "the transition to KDE5 will not be the same
>> tradegy as with Fedora 9" is just wishful thinking, not calling it a lie
>
> Plasma 5 was released more than one year ago - so I'd not say it was
> too early, Fedora even wasn't the first distribution that adopted
> Plasma 5. And yes, unfortunately we lost some old Plasmoids where
> theirs authors lost interest in it and did not rewrite it for Plasma 5
> in that one year... I retired a few packages. But these were
> unmaintained for years

i know that Fedora is not alone responsible, mostly it's a braindead
upstream not giving a damn about users and just when things start to
work smoothly make *incompatible* rewrites again and again

who which is right in his mind could recommend a Linux desktop to
anybody knowing that this happens regulary? Linux will never ever have a
marketshare because developers have nothing better to do than
incompatible changes and not care about users which just want to use
their computers and that point even affect developers whos time for
wokring on other software get burned down by having to deal with their
own basic setup all the time to get workflow back or adopt changed workflows

it just burns ressources left and right and no Fedora.next or whatever
is able to compensate that damage - period