F22 / KDE5

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Sep 15 16:54:40 UTC 2015

Am 15.09.2015 um 18:07 schrieb Sérgio Basto:
> On Seg, 2015-09-14 at 18:53 -0400, Eric Griffith wrote:
>> Minus the thunderbird issue, which confuses me, it does sound like
>> "settings not migrated" which is still odd
>
> if your migration settings messed up , you should login with a new and
> fresh user and copy slowly yours settings from old user , is the way
> that always worked . Which, usually, is quick and you will like more
> yours new settings ...

how is it a migration thing when some applications missing their icon in
the window-bar while have it in the starter? the format of the .desktop
files is unchanged

frankly even the Exec=ksystraycmd is still added while not working there
even in new ones

and quick is start with a new profile *only* if you have no
customizations - sorry - but zero understanding for a developer which is
not able to read the previous config, interpret it and write it to the
new location, new format at the first start

THAT is why nobody right in his mind can recommend a Linux desktop for a
ordinary user because after some years you know that always wehn things
are starting to run really smooth they are abandoned and replaced by a
rewrite

what is the reason for that rewrites?
i can tell you: to get rid of non-perfect code and hacks, but by
stupidity at the same time not realize that all the bugs you carry the
next few years where fixed by exactly that and your new shiny rewerite
is not perfect and so over the time get the same fixes and workaorunds
until it is smooth again and you don#t like the code - this is running
in circles for no reason - if things are working just don't touch them
at all except fix bugs and polish