Systray (was Re: F22 / KDE5)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 15 18:17:41 UTC 2015

Reindl Harald composed on 2015-09-15 19:42 (UTC+0200):

> KF5 is at best pre-beta quality and the Fedora kde SIG honestly should
> have realized that *before* throw it to long years users - i still seek
> for any user visible improvement and have not found a single one

Those of us with multiple K5 complaints don't appear destined to have our
complaints satisfied any time soon. Its problems are from upstream, and
upstream's upstream (QT5), neither of which are anything Fedora packagers
have much control over. The only (that I have so far found) viable pure KDE
solutions for the foreseeable future appear to be these, all released with KDE4:

Fedora 21 (EOL soon)
Kubuntu 14.10 (released 2014-104-23, but already EOL?)
Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (released 2014-04-17, but EOL distant)
openSUSE 13.2 (released 2014-11-04, EOL somewhere around January 2017)
Mageia 5 (released 2015-06-20, EOL est. beyond openSUSE 13.2)

An arguably more, and less, radical alternative is this:
https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/FedoraInstall

As Trinity can be installed in parallel to K5, in like manner to XFCE, IceWM
and others, it could be a better alternative to constant frustration from
what's missing or broken in K5.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/