Systray (was Re: F22 / KDE5)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Sep 15 20:29:04 UTC 2015

Am 15.09.2015 um 22:15 schrieb Rex Dieter:
> Reindl Harald wrote:
>

>> and given that ksystraycmd also is not available
>
> Kevin helpfully noticed on irc that kde4's kde-workspace provides
> ksystraycmd, so I'm looking into building a 'ksystraycmd' package from
> there.

thanks, hopefully that works in some way also for non-kde-apps

there are really a few applications which are heavily helpful in the
systray instead waste the precious space in the window-bar

* thunderbird
* eclipse
* rdesktop with the vSphere admin server

"alltray" was such a impressive thing - just have a desktop and be able
to put any running application in the systray without needed support
from the application developer - i showed that so many times to
Apple/Windows users with the words "that is how a flexible and usable
Desktop has to work like".....

what scares me that much is that "ksystraycmd" was so many years
affacted by the joke that while you start an application with it you
must not touch any other application or get the wrong icon in the
systray (finally meaning you can't place any such application in
autostarts) and then you get in KF5 just a meaningless errormessage
because it's no longer available

dunno what upstream thinks by providing a checkbox in the menu editor
and not test a single time the broken results of it, we are now far away
from a KF 5.0.0 release and given that KDE4 was in a better shape after
that time

if i would only find *one thing* which is better than with KDE4 (away
from a theoretical level)