F22 / KDE5

Robin Laing MeSat at TelusPlanet.net
Wed Sep 16 04:43:57 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-15 14:34, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 15.09.2015 um 22:28 schrieb Rex Dieter:
>> Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> than why not just stay at KDE4 as long it is possible
>>
>> When depending on the the product of a meritocracy and you're not
>> contributing to it, then you may not be satisfied with the output.  And
>> that's fine.  I'm sorry Plasma5 doesn't satisfy you.
>>
>> *I* strongly feel plasma5 is good enough, and enjoy investing time in
>> making
>> it better every day. I would not enjoy spending much effort prolonging
>> kde4,
>> especially if that means losing time making plasma5 better
>
> well, the problem is that we (as users) spend so much of our life time
> by waiting for "making xyz better" - that works only well if things
> where not better in the past, but after some iterations of "waiting for
> things getting better" aka "waiting how the become mature as that what
> you had before" you just get tired
>
> you get with each iteration of "we throw away working things and now you
> user have to wait for a unknown number of years to get them mature
> again" more tired until you are at the point "why in the world do i
> waste my life for waiting things to get mature again and not just accept
> that the whole IT is broken, leave it at all and start a fast food
> restaurant"

I have to agree on this one.

But as society changes, other items change.  Some from demand, others
from greed.  Look at the changes in Windows with 7, 8 and 10.

I have used KDE 5 on two computers for a few months now.  It is getting
better in most cases but there are some issues that I feel are a major
problem and do take the time to report them as bugs.  Now if they would
only get fixed.  Of course, bugs in many applications don't get fixed.

The only real crashes I have had with Plasma are related to Widgets.  I
normally don't use widgets so it was a new experience and very repeatable.

I am learning more coding so hopefully I can be more helpful to the
whole change effect and put my "personal" touches to things that I hate
about the changes.  Change from within?

I remember the move from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3 because that was when I
moved to KDE.  Moving to KDE 4 was a major headache from what I
remember.  I had all kinds of issues until there was a new version of
Fedora.

For those asking for KDE 4 and 5 at the same time, I say, learn how to
package the full set of code.  Of course, some code just won't work as
QT is being changed.

KDE should have waited for QT to get closer to being complete before
moving and creating a full hornets nest of headaches for the end users
and I bet the KDE package maintainers themselves.

I will probably upgrade to F23 at Xmas sooner than I would normally do.

Is this a case of cannot wait for winter soon enough but for the wrong
reasons?

Robin