Systray (was Re: F22 / KDE5)

Piotr Gbyliczek piotr.gbyliczek at reconnix.com
Wed Sep 16 14:11:23 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 16 September 2015 14:56:40 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> > I'm just wondering while lurking this discussion : how hard would it be to
> > backport KDE4 into F22+ and offer it as an alternative ? I think OpenSUSE
> > offers that, maybe Fedora should too ?
>
> For the record, I got confirmation from OpenSUSE packagers that they do
> *not* offer Plasma 4.x as an alternative.

I've just grabbed OpenSUSE 13.2 net install ISO and started installation on VM
to check. There was choice of Gnome, KDE and others. Choosing KDE did result
in kde packages being installed with what seems to be  KDE 4.14.

So, maybe they do *not* offer it as an alternative, because it is their main
choice ? I will finish the installation anyway to see If maybe this is some
legacy packages, and report if there will be Plasma 5 there after
installation.

This may offer some people (me included) an alternative, as for now I will not
upgrade to F22 on my work machines. Should F24 or F25 prove to be unusable to
me from business perspective, I will look at another distro to use in work,
and use Fedora only on non critical systems.

BTW, OpenSUSE 13.1 is an evergreen release, which means longer support period
provided by OpenSUSE community. So it is safe to say that KDE4 in it will be
stable until November 2016.

Regards,
Piotr