F22 / KDE5

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Sep 16 22:54:39 UTC 2015

Eli Wapniarski wrote:
> Oh... I am trully sick and tired about hearing that something in KDE does
> not work because of buggy drivers
>
> The kernel iteration for f22 and f21 are the same. My interface works just
> fine in F21 and KDE4 my konsole shows the way its supposed to. It works
> just fine in f22 and gnome console works just fine in Cinamon and F22. So
> the problem isn't the drivers and if it is KDE5 banging up against driver
> functionality so what? I still can't use KDE5.

Well, yes, it's the drivers. If the driver crashes or doesn't render as
intended, that's clearly a driver bug, even if it only happens with a
particular application, sorry. GNOME Terminal uses a different toolkit that
renders completely differently, so of course it's not affected. Konsole 4 on
F21 used both a different major version of the toolkit and a different
driver version, so I cannot tell whether this is a regression in the driver
or a latent driver bug exposed by a rendering change in Qt 5. The rendering
glitches might also be triggered by KWin OpenGL compositing, which has also
changed significantly between F21 (KWin 4) and F22 (KWin 5). But in all
cases, the root cause of the bug is in the driver.

        Kevin Kofler