Systray (was Re: F22 / KDE5)

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 16 23:22:28 UTC 2015

Kevin Kofler composed on 2015-09-16 23:47 (UTC+0200):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> That is in part because both cannot coexist on the same installation.
>> OTOH, KDE3 can coexist and is still available. And in Fedora, TDE can also
>> coexist with v5.

> That explanation is incomplete. No 2 major versions of KDE can coexist in
> the same prefix. The reason OpenSUSE's KDE 3 is parallel-installable (with
> KDE/Plasma 4 or Plasma 5) is that they used the /opt/kde3 prefix for it.
> They stopped doing that with their KDE 4 packaging and now use the standard
> /usr prefix instead. So they are now stuck in the same situation as we are.

Just guessing, using /opt might have been so that kde2 and kde3 could have
been released in parallel, as happened with kde3 (in /opt) and kde4
(standard), to avoid what happened when kde3 was deprecated in favor of kde4
before it evolved into a similarly competent replacement. In openSUSE, kde3
remains available in standard repos, though it's not available as a primary
DE selection in its installer.

## host gx27b
# grep PRETTY /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="openSUSE 20150819 (Tumbleweed) (i586)"
# which startkde
/opt/kde3/bin/startkde
# rpm -qf /opt/kde3/bin/startkde
kdebase3-workspace-3.5.10.1-391.9.i586

## host gx150
# cat /etc/*lease
SUSE LINUX 10.0 (i586) OSS
VERSION = 10.0
LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-noarch:core-2.0-ia32:core-3.0-ia32"
# which startkde
/opt/kde3/bin/startkde
# rpm -qf /opt/kde3/bin/startkde
kdebase3-3.4.2-26

## host gx150
# cat /etc/*lease
SuSE Linux 9.3 (i586)
VERSION = 9.3
LSB_VERSION="core-2.0-noarch:core-2.0-ia32"
# which startkde
/opt/kde3/bin/startkde
# rpm -qf /opt/kde3/bin/startkde
kdebase3-3.4.0-28.2

#4: install TDE in Fedora. Starting with r14, versioning was changed, and
filenames starting with kde were terminated.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/