KDE 5: VMware Workstation unuseable

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Sep 17 00:17:59 UTC 2015

Am 16.09.2015 um 18:12 schrieb Wes Hardaker:
> Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> writes:
>
>> * start a VM
>> * move the mouse pointer into the window
>>
>> "Do you really want to activate 'slow keys' and 'mouse keys'..... if
>> you do not need them, you can select 'Deativate all AccessX features
>> and gestures' - independent what you chose, move the mouse and the
>> same dialog appears again and again - seriously?
>
> Yikes.  Please to post if you find a fix for that

a workaround is just disable 3D graphics for the VM's and start them
headless with the VNC option and avoid the normal GUI but after so many
years using VMware under KDE (as well as ESXi for production servers) it
leaves a bad taste in my mouth to say it polite

and the fact that copy files over sftp freezes half of the GUI and i
recently smoked two cigarettes until something starts to working again
on a i7 SandyBrdige machine with 16 GB ram while switch with CTRL+ALT+F2
to a console and verify that all the files are already there while
plasma is running in circles with high CPU load confirms that until now
KDE5 is just unusable