Differences with mingw.org cross-toolchain

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Feb 10 23:06:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 11:50:18PM +0100, Erik Leunissen wrote:
> L.S.
>
> For several years, I've been using a linux hosted cross MinGW toolchain,
> as described by:
>
>  http://www.mingw.org/wiki/LinuxCrossMinGW
>
> from where I also retrieved the sources and build script.
>
> I only recently discovered the fedora-mingw project and would like to
> know how the cross-toolchains from both projects differ. Are there any
> reasons to favor one above the other?

I think you will be the expert on the LinuxCrossMinGW chain described
above, since I haven't used it.

I'll point out some features of our chain:

- We use ordinary GCC, with MinGW's binutils, runtime & W32API.

- We supply lots of precompiled libraries (http://annexia.org/fedora_mingw).

- We add a few extra custom scripts/tools like nsiswrapper and
mingw32-configure.  To make things easier to build.

- We are completely 100% open source.  We supply the source (as
*.src.rpm) in a way that makes it easy for people to reproduce our
builds from scratch.  Probably also a feature of the LinuxCrossMinGW
chain, but it's worth pointing out.

- We want to encourage commercial software on top of our chain.  So
there are no licensing impediments, except where those are imposed on
us by the upstream library (eg. readline).

- We are very focused on Fedora, RPM, yum etc.  Of course any
useful/relevant changes get pushed back into upstream projects, but
the Fedora MinGW project is really about packaging this stuff up for
Fedora & RHEL.

If you have any specific questions, please post them here.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v