static libraries

Alexey Pushkin alexey.pushkin at mererand.com
Fri Feb 20 15:37:44 UTC 2009

Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> [...]

Surely it should be optional, but now this option simply doesn't exist :-(

> You should fix your Makefiles to pull
> the *.dll files you need from the mingw package and ship them if you are
> sure your target users don't have them. At least that's what I'm doing.

This of course works with executables
but if you're distributing a .dll things get much worse.

In my experience customers just hate the fact that in addition
to your .dll they also need a bunch of dependency .dlls.
And even if they accept this, they start making all possible
mistakes which eats enormous amount of time.