static libraries

NightStrike nightstrike at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 19:03:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Alexey Pushkin
<alexey.pushkin at mererand.com> wrote:
> Because, with dynamic linking they'll anyway end up installing
> private copies of all the dlls  together with the executable
> somewhere under Program_Files/MySuperApp/bin.

I agree that static linking is much more preferred on a windows
platform, even for performance reasons.

I will note, however, that there is possibly one scenario where
shipping a dll is desirable.  That is, when you have multiple
executables in your "Super App", and they all link to the same lib.
In that case, having them all link to a dll that you deliver has
advantages (especially if we get delayed loading to work).

Plugin management for an app is another place where dll support is desirable.

All of these, I warrant, are exceptions.  I still agree that the
default should be static.