static libraries

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri Feb 20 19:55:23 UTC 2009

Let's just recap the facts, in case there was confusion about it ...

(1) The default remains to provide dynamic libraries.  There's no
discussion on this point, because even if I thought it was a good idea
to change (which I don't), Fedora policy would prevent it.

(2) IMHO there is no realistic chance to change Fedora policy,
although you are welcome to try.

(3) Fedora policy allows static libraries to be provided in *-static
subpackages.

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Packaging_Static_Libraries

(4) *-static subpackages don't happen by magic.  You have to find
someone to do this work for you, or do it yourself.

(5) Post your patches to this list, for the usual review / submission
process.

Hope that's clear.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/