Debugging information in MinGW packages

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 25 13:53:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 02:46:39PM +0100, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what's the correct way to handle debugging information in MinGW packages?
>
> Currently, mingw32-nsis builds everything with debugging information (due to
> the debian-debug-opt patch), even the MinGW parts, but the MinGW debugging
> information is not extracted, so it's included within the binaries. This is
> particularly annoying for NSIS installers as it bloats the installer stubs.
> For example, the lzma_solid stub is 210185 bytes, running a MinGW strip on
> it reduces it to 55296 bytes.
>
> Do we really want debugging information in the MinGW stuff even if it can't
> be extracted into separate -debuginfo? Or should the MinGW portions of NSIS
> be built without -g instead? Should the same policy apply to everything or
> should NSIS be special? (I can see why a developer would want to have
> debugging information for a library, but for an installer?)

Last time we tried, a cross compiled GDB crashed & burned. So unless someone
can demonstrate a usuable WINE/Win32 debugger that can use the gcc generated
debugging info, then we should not build with -g, nor create -debuginfo
sub-RPMs.

The exception being the base toolchain that is natively compiled should of
course have debuginfo as normal.

Daniel