Debugging information in MinGW packages

Alexey Pushkin alexey.pushkin at mererand.com
Wed Feb 25 17:26:22 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:53:23PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>> Last time we tried, a cross compiled GDB crashed & burned. So unless someone
>> can demonstrate a usuable WINE/Win32 debugger that can use the gcc generated
>> debugging info, then we should not build with -g, nor create -debuginfo
>> sub-RPMs.
>>
>> The exception being the base toolchain that is natively compiled should of
>> course have debuginfo as normal.
>
> According to this:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=8278b1b0902240411i58f4b5d0y7c8a69604dfe5ce4%40mail.gmail.com
>
> Windows has its own native debugging format (*.PDB) that GCC/GDB (or
> perhaps MinGW) doesn't support anyway.

Right, neither you can make .PDB files with GCC nor you can read
them with anything other than MS debugger.

Additionally:

* -gcoff option produces debugging information that
   is understood by MS debugger (in a quite limited way though)

* -ggdb produces debugging information that is understood by
   Windows ports of GDB.