Debugging information in MinGW packages

Alexey Pushkin alexey.pushkin at mererand.com
Wed Feb 25 17:44:19 UTC 2009

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 05:10:45PM +0000, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 01:53:23PM +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>>> Last time we tried, a cross compiled GDB crashed & burned. So unless someone
>>> can demonstrate a usuable WINE/Win32 debugger that can use the gcc generated
>>> debugging info, then we should not build with -g, nor create -debuginfo
>>> sub-RPMs.
>>>
>>> The exception being the base toolchain that is natively compiled should of
>>> course have debuginfo as normal.
>> According to this:
>>
>> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_name=8278b1b0902240411i58f4b5d0y7c8a69604dfe5ce4%40mail.gmail.com
>>
>> Windows has its own native debugging format (*.PDB) that GCC/GDB (or
>> perhaps MinGW) doesn't support anyway.
>
> So not useful in the general case for debugging under Windows / using
> the MicroSoft debugger, but I guess the question is whether there is
> none-the-less a more limited case in which GCC debuginfo is useful ?
>
> eg if cross-compiling and then debugging the app under Wine using GDB,
> would minggw-XXX-debuginfo RPMs still be useful to have ?

*Personally* I haven't seen GDB working under Wine.
On the other hand GDB works fine under real Windows.

gdb4win32: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=2435&package_id=20507
gdb4win64: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=202880&package_id=259447

However I don't know whether it's possible/easy to cross-compile GDB from Linux.