Interest in mingw wxWidgets

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Jun 22 17:02:28 UTC 2009

Max Jonathan Spaulding wrote:
> I'm sorry, not trying to be argumentative, but I really don't get the
> difference?  Getting wx to cross build entails setting a few environment
> variables and pointing it at the right compiler.  Its already setup to
> have multiple versions, builds installed on the same system.
>
> I'm just not understanding, what is different between it and some other
> library?

If you start from the native Fedora package, that package is a wxGTK
package, you need to change it to be a wxW32 package, which is a special
kind of adaptation most other libraries don't need. The Fedora package:
* is named wxGTK, as is its specfile (wxGTK.spec)
* BuildRequires gtk2-devel
* lists wxGTK files in its file lists
etc. All this needs to be changed in addition to the usual MinGW changes
(adding mingw32- to the package name, changing the BRs to the MinGW
version, tweaking the summary and description, using the MinGW macros where
appropriate).

> I also am not understanding what you mean by "a different wxWidgets
> backend"?

wxGTK is a different backend than the W32 one.

        Kevin Kofler