Patch for ming32-zlib.spec to enable static package

Farkas Levente lfarkas at lfarkas.org
Tue Mar 10 13:12:26 UTC 2009

Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 01:45:34PM +0100, Farkas Levente wrote:
>> Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
>>> ^^^^^^^^
>>>
>>> This patch is good, except did you mean 'Requires: mingw32-zlib =
>>> %{version}-%{release}' there?
>> why require mingw32-zlib at all for the static lib?
>
> It's debatable in this case, but in other cases the base package
> contains binaries, license and README files which are applicable to
> the static package too.
>
> (mingw32-zlib doesn't contain a license file, but that's a bug ...)
>
> It doesn't really matter if we pull in the DLL along with the static
> library, since this only applies on developer workstations.  It
> doesn't affect the resultant binary or how it is deployed in any way.

ok. now i can ask it in a more general way.
do we like to support static libs? (i vote for yes)
if yes wouldn't it be better to create -static and -devel pacakges for
all packages (like in native version) and put those common stuff into
the base packages?
ok i know again another mingw packaging guide changes....
but at least discuss what would be the 'right way tm'...