Notes on cross-compiling Linux -> Mac OS X

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Thu May 7 11:11:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 12:28:54PM +0200, Erik van Pienbroek wrote:
> Op donderdag 07-05-2009 om 11:02 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Richard
> W.M. Jones:
> > Might be useful for someone:
> >
> > http://devs.openttd.org/~truebrain/compile-farm/apple-darwin9.txt
>
> This documentation sure looks useful! It should be good enough to come
> up with a working toolchain using .spec files. The only issue that
> worries me is that the Mac OS X SDK is needed for which you need to
> register at the Apple website. I'm afraid those pieces won't be allowed
> in Fedora because they're in fact binary-only blobs.

Yes, anything based on the Apple SDK seems like it will be a no-go.

However, when I looked at this last time I concluded that using
odcctools[1] we could _almost_ build a working binary.  The only
missing part is a small runtime library - literally a few hundred
lines of assembly code - which is under an old Apple license that is
incompatible with Fedora.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-legal-list/2009-February/msg00009.html

BTW all of the above was last discussed on this list here:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/fedora-mingw/2009-February/000540.html

Rich.

[1] odcctools is free software, albeit with several technical and
social problems of its own.  It lacks a single upstream source, and it
only builds on 32 bit, because the code contains many 32 bit
assumptions.