Server SIG - work areas

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Jan 5 19:40:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 14:37 -0500, David Huff wrote:

> > Server services
> >  - bring more server packages into Fedora
> >  - encourage creation of EPEL branches for existing packages
> >
> > Kernel
> >  - everything about the kernel side of servers
>
> We have not done anything here, however we have discussed pulling out
> some kernel modules that are not needed for virtual appliances.  There
> is not an easy way of doing this without "breaking" rpm, current
> thinking is to use white/black listing of actual files.

Do not work outside of rpm for these things. Work within the system you
have available and/or modify it upstream. Working outside of it means
that all the tools we already have to work on things w/i the rpm
framework have to be modified to work nicely with what you're trying to
do.

that's just extra pain.

-sv