Server SIG - work areas

Dan Horák dan at danny.cz
Tue Jan 6 16:18:53 UTC 2009

David Huff píše v Út 06. 01. 2009 v 10:32 -0500:
> Dan Horák wrote:
> > seth vidal píše v Po 05. 01. 2009 v 14:40 -0500:

> >> Do not work outside of rpm for these things. Work within the system you
> >> have available and/or modify it upstream. Working outside of it means
> >> that all the tools we already have to work on things w/i the rpm
> >> framework have to be modified to work nicely with what you're trying to
> >> do.
> >
> > Is this about the size of the kernel rpm package or the size of running
> > kernel and ramdisk?
> >

> We were more thinking of rpm package size, and the "foot-print" of a
> virtual server appliance.  Not all of the kernel modules are needed to
> run in a VC.

And the foot-print is quite massive - the installed size of the kernel
rpm is more then 70 MB in F-10 on x86_64. And IMHO that could be lowered
to 10 MB of base kernel and all the required modules.

> As I said we haven't don much here, it was just something that had come
> up in some discussions.

But it illustrates an existing issue.

Maybe some rpm repackager can be developed to split the standard binary
kernel rpm into a set of subpackages.

		Dan